Thursday 20 September 2012

Time For Virginia Woolf Quotes

"It is in our idleness, in our dreams, that the submerged truth sometimes comes to the top." Virginia Woolf

"Great bodies of people are never responsible for what they do." Virginia Woolf

"It is far more difficult to murder a phantom than a reality." Virginia Woolf

"The older one grows, the more one likes indecency." Virginia Woolf

"I would venture to guess that Anon, who wrote so many poems without signing them, was often a woman." Virginia Woolf

"The eyes of others our prisons; their thoughts our cages." Virginia Woolf

"Really I don't like human nature unless all candied over with art." Virginia Woolf

"Someone has to die in order that the rest of us should value life more." Virginia Woolf

"The truth is, I often like women. I like their unconventionality. I like their completeness. I like their anonymity." Virginia Woolf

"To depend upon a profession is a less odious form of slavery than to depend upon a father." Virginia Woolf


Virginia Woolf Quotes
Virginia Woolf

Adeline Virginia Woolf ( 25 January 1882 – 28 March 1941) was an English writer, regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

During the interwar period, Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of the Bloomsbury Group. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927) and Orlando (1928), and the book-length essay A Room of One's Own (1929), with its famous dictum, "A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction."

Virginia Woolf was born Adeline Virginia Stephen in London in 1882 to Sir Leslie Stephen and Julia Prinsep Stephen (née Jackson).
Read more about Virginia Woolf at Wikipedia

"Language is wine upon the lips." Virginia Woolf

"Who shall measure the hat and violence of the poet's heart when caught and tangled in a woman's body?" Virginia Woolf

"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf

"Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind is written large in his works." Virginia Woolf

"Sleep, that deplorable curtailment of the joy of life." Virginia Woolf

"Yet it is in our idleness, in our dreams, that the submerged truth sometimes comes to the top." Virginia Woolf

"Humor is the first of the gifts to perish in a foreign tongue." Virginia Woolf

"I was in a queer mood, thinking myself very old: but now I am a woman again - as I always am when I write." Virginia Woolf

"A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction." Virginia Woolf

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf


"To enjoy freedom we have to control ourselves." Virginia Woolf Quotes


"One likes people much better when they're battered down by a prodigious siege of misfortune than when they triumph." Virginia Woolf

"Nothing induces me to read a novel except when I have to make money by writing about it. I detest them." Virginia Woolf

"To enjoy freedom we have to control ourselves." Virginia Woolf

"I thought how unpleasant it is to be locked out; and I thought how it is worse, perhaps, to be locked in." Virginia Woolf

"When the shriveled skin of the ordinary is stuffed out with meaning, it satisfies the senses amazingly." Virginia Woolf

"Thought and theory must precede all salutary action; yet action is nobler in itself than either thought or theory." Virginia Woolf

"As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world." Virginia Woolf

"You send a boy to school in order to make friends - the right sort." Virginia Woolf

"The connection between dress and war is not far to seek; your finest clothes are those you wear as soldiers." Virginia Woolf

"We are nauseated by the sight of trivial personalities decomposing in the eternity of print." Virginia Woolf

"Indeed, I would venture to guess that Anon, who wrote so many poems without signing them, was often a woman." Virginia Woolf

"Odd how the creative power at once brings the whole universe to order." Virginia Woolf

"This is not writing at all. Indeed, I could say that Shakespeare surpasses literature altogether, if I knew what I meant." Virginia Woolf

"On the outskirts of every agony sits some observant fellow who points." Virginia Woolf

"If you do not tell the truth about yourself you cannot tell it about other people." Virginia Woolf

"One has to secrete a jelly in which to slip quotations down people's throats - and one always secretes too much jelly." Virginia Woolf

"Literature is strewn with the wreckage of men who have minded beyond reason the opinions of others." Virginia Woolf

"Rigid, the skeleton of habit alone upholds the human frame." Virginia Woolf

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life." Virginia Woolf

"Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded." Virginia Woolf

"It is fatal to be a man or woman pure and simple: one must be a woman manly, or a man womanly." Virginia Woolf

"Yet, it is true, poetry is delicious; the best prose is that which is most full of poetry." Virginia Woolf

"The beautiful seems right by force of beauty, and the feeble wrong because of weakness." Virginia Woolf

"The poet gives us his essence, but prose takes the mold of the body and mind." Virginia Woolf

"Some people go to priests; others to poetry; I to my friends." Virginia Woolf

"Boredom is the legitimate kingdom of the philanthropic." Virginia Woolf

"Why are women... so much more interesting to men than men are to women?" Virginia Woolf

"For most of history, Anonymous was a woman." Virginia Woolf

"I read the book of Job last night, I don't think God comes out well in it." Virginia Woolf

"That great Cathedral space which was childhood." Virginia Woolf

"It is far harder to kill a phantom than a reality." Virginia Woolf

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful piece of information, I had come to know about your blog from my friend Nandu , Hyderabad, I have read at least 7 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your website gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that I had been looking for, I'm already your RSS reader now and I would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanks a ton once again, Regards, bob marley quotes

    ReplyDelete